1.18.2011

Mission Gorge [Jan 8]

Tim and I headed down to Mission Gorge for a day trip. We climbed at the Main Wall, starting on The Blocks, an easy 5.4 (trad) line on the left side to get warmed up. The climb was short, but sort of interesting because it was a bit damp. It's slick there on a dry day so I was wary.

Next was Susie's Wild Ride, a 3 star 5.9 right around the corner. I led it first and it had a couple tough moves but I sent it, but did have to take at the crux to figure out the sequence. Tim led it next and caught me by surprise when he took a fall between the 2nd and third bolt. He got back on it and sent the route without further incident.

Next we hit Crack of Dust (5.8 *** trad). This route was fun and had a tough layback section near the top. I had to take and work it out, but made it without incident. Tim led it next, but was a bit wiped out after the adrenaline rush from the fall... he lowered off, so I got back on to finish the route. I planned on not taking at the crux, but the layback section sketched me a bit and I had to take again. I was a bit irked, but I will send it with vengeance next trip.

We got on another route, but I can remember what it was, then we finished on Mission Control (5.8 ***) and it was a fun route. We hiked back down and headed back to Dana Point, via Starbs as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment